tree dancer

tree dancer
Tree Dancer

Friday, January 6, 2012

Poetry & Trees

Joyce Kilmer. 1886–1918
Trees
I THINK that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day, 5
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain. 10
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree

I wish I'd of written this, it has been one of my absolute favorites since childhood.  I'm 61 so that's quite a bit of time.  I live in the Northwest now, where seasons actually change and there are so many amazing sights to see.  Each season has it's own speciality, but Fall and Winter for me put on a display that boggles the mind.  Fall brings the color show, oranges, reds, golds and greens to delight one's eyes.  As the leaves drop to the ground, a carpet of color is spread across the landscape, delighting small children as they are tossed overhead into the gentle winds.  As you look up, the structure of the trees is visible, epitomizing strength and form that fills my heart with joy.
This is one of my favorite trees, it is unique to the surrounding varieties of trees that stand guard over the Columbia River Gorge highway.  Up close the growth takes on a  lace-like appearance that isn't readily apparent from a distance.  Covered with leaves, it's the perfect place to seek shelter from the heat of summer and excellent for hide-and-seek!  I could spend hours there, were I a child again; my imagination leaps into overdrive just looking at the picture!  There are dragons to be slain and unicorns to shelter from the evils of the world.  Perhaps part of me has never grown up and this tree, as Kilmer' poem, inspire that curious and imaginative little person to peek out between the branches.  I am thankful that part of me still exists, she occasionally gets lost in the responsibilities of life; when one forgets what is important.  Life, family, friends and a secret place to hide when there seems no where else to turn.  Live well, laugh often.........

1 comment: