tree dancer

tree dancer
Tree Dancer

Thursday, February 23, 2012

The act of patronization.......

Patronize:           to act in an offensively superior manner toward   

This "act" is number one on my list of how NOT to treat me.  I believe myself to be a relatively intelligent person and abhor being treated like I am stupid.  My daughter and I had a bit of a confrontation yesterday and I walked out, angry and refusing to discuss what happened any further with her.  I stewed about it most of the day, because it bothered me on so many levels.  Early this morning I checked my emails and there was a comment from a kind person about one of my blogs.  I came in here and thanked them for their kind words and went through a few other of my blogsTo make a long explanation short, I need to practice what I preach.  Life is way too short to spend it angry, and, should something happen, the last time you spend with anyone should not be an angry time. 

I grew up afraid of my father, he was an angry man, and I just assumed he was angry with me.  I somehow came to the conclusion that if I had been born a boy, things would have been better between us.  I tried my best, I worked hard at being that boy, but it was never good enough.  I understand now why he was so unhappy, I made sure of that, before he passed away, that things between us were peaceful.  It was a purely selfish motive on my part, and I honestly can't say that he died with any less pain in his heart about our relationship, but I tried. 

So I will call my daughter today, whatever happened yesterday is now dust in the wind.  She will hopefully learn from the gift I lay before her, for anytime one learns to be a better person, it is a gift.  I don't want to be like my father, I don't want to live estranged from my family because I don't know how to swallow my pride and extend my hand in love.  We don't know how long we will be here, and it behooves us to appreciate our lives each and every day. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Momma. I am not mad at you (for what it's worth). I feel rejected on so many levels. I keep asking you to do stuff with me, because I want to spend time with you, and bond. Maybe I am just not asking the right things to do, what you want. I love you no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete