tree dancer

tree dancer
Tree Dancer

Friday, October 21, 2011

Hunger

             Hunger, really an odd word if you look at it too long.  I guess that holds true for a lot of words, but tonight this is the one at the top of the list for me.  It has a lot of definitions, here's a new one on me; appetency,  according to my Wordsmyth dictionary, it is an intense craving or desire.  So, it's not unlike an addiction, and for me that addiction is to food.  For my partner, it's alcohol, so how can I judge him for his, when I have so little control over my own?  I'm losing weight, only because I went and got hypnotized a few months ago, it worked for me to help me stop smoking.  Thirty years and three packs a day, all gone in a half an hour session; I am so grateful.  I am struggling with the weight loss to a certain degree, it wasn't as absolute as the smoking session was.  I'm hungry almost all the time, and I'm not sure it's always food that I want, although, it would be a rarity for me to turn it down.  I am eating better, I must say, not so much junk and/or fried foods, hence the weight loss. 
           So what is the real need?  And why does a full stomach seem to beat back the demons for a time?  Am I strong enough to  reach into that viper pit and pull out the one labeled 'hunger"?  Will it slowly rise to the surface, it's ascent hampered by all the "I want" and "I needs" hanging on for dear life?  Each of those little monsters clamoring for attention; 'fix me', 'help me', 'no ME, I'm more important'.  I wonder, if we could deal with all these little ogres, is there a svelte and sylphlike goddess just waiting to manifest before our mirror?  Would our hearts and spirits soar higher if not encumbered by our worries and fears?  Do we dare to find out?

1 comment:

  1. So many struggle with this, including me. I had to take back my life so I joined Sparkpeople.com. It helped a lot to hear others were struggling with their own demons too.
    If we can dream it, we can make goals to accomplish it. I know you can overcome this because I have. Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete