tree dancer

tree dancer
Tree Dancer

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Whistle in the Distance

         The whistle of a train sounds in the distance and for a moment, I am a child again.  I had a flash of a memory from long ago; the call of the wild echos across my mind.  What a delightful way to live, my young mind thought, to live free, see new sights, work a while, rest a while.......ahhhh is this heaven?  In reality, of course, it wasn't all good times, I'm sure.  My guess is the men and women that rode the trains went hungry a lot, longed for a clean bed, a hot bath and a table laden with good food.  But that spirit that aches inside still yearned for an escape sometimes.  Not because things were bad, there were those times also, but because each and every one of us wishes for that freedom in some sense of the word. 
        We crave what we can't have, I guess, and as a child those things seem possible.  As an adult, real life steps in and says "not on my watch buddy".  Grow up, act your age, don't be childish....have we not all heard these admonishments?  With childhood came a freedom, a train whistle brings that aspiration of a life not hampered by the daily round of worry and frustration.  A fantasy of each day with no demands and the time and money to come and go as one pleases.  We all know in our hearts the guy with the million dollar check isn't coming to the door, but the dreamer  in all of us keeps one ear tuned for the doorbell, just in case. 
        So, on we go, the solution within ourselves to use or not, as we choose.  Be grateful for each day, get up, do your best, cherish your friends and family and give yourself your due.  Each of us is worthy of the best each day can bring, believe it, live it and appreciate what you do have, my friends, the alternative has no options at all. 

3 comments:

  1. Very true. We can let the child out and play on occasion, but the adult in us always has to be standing by. Those of us who forget what it was to be a child, age quicker, and I wonder if they ever know true happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy you are sooooooo right about that. I am one of those who forgot my inner child, but am happy to say I have re-found her in recent years. THere is nothing more precious than the simple joy-finding skill of a child.

    Kimmy you amaze me!! Your insights cut too painfully close to the bone every time. Much love for you!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. It's funny, with trains, what memories and insights that whistle bring up - I bet if you talked to 10 different people you'd get 10 different answers. Loved this! Happy to follow back!

    ReplyDelete