tree dancer

tree dancer
Tree Dancer

Monday, August 15, 2011

Survival




The images roll past, screen after screen, as my brain tries to absorb

what I am seeing. I know the reality is so much worse, this only

barely skims the surface. Mother Nature speaks softly no more, she

has let loose the wrath, slamming the planet from every direction and
with such intensity.



Tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanoes; these are at the top of the list

of havoc wreaked. The destruction knows no boundaries, does not

discriminate by any of mankind’s petty standards. Devastation

knows no borders, color, race, beliefs or style of dress; those are

our iniquities, the building that falls cares not about price tags or

quality of furnishings. All is swept away that lies in the path of

demolition, sometimes miles wide, leaving little untouched as it
roars through.




The faces, so many emotions play across them, feelings most of us will

never know. Despair, loss, fear, all of those and more, and yet hope

is there too. Grateful to be alive, mournful for those who are not;

in awe of all that surrounds one. Thousands of pieces of strewn,

shreds of people's lives, items dear to someone's heart, mixed

together in the potpourri spread before the world in silent tribute

to survival. We will rebuild, I hear them say, and marvel at their

resilience. It makes me wonder if I would feel the same; if my tree

of life began there. If the branches and roots were well established

with generation after generation ensconced there.




The strength, determination and true grit of humankind stands before us,

amidst the wreckage with shoulders squared; facing that which was

thrown at their feet. I stand in spirit with you, my thoughts and

prayers blazing across the miles that separate us, my hands clasped
and head bowed in awe.

No comments:

Post a Comment