tree dancer

tree dancer
Tree Dancer

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hear me

     I was stabbed in the heart yesterday by the sight of an elderly man, standing on a sidewalk and holding a sign requesting help with his wifes' medical bills.  He was neatly dressed and must of been feeling desperate beyond most of our scopes of experience.  My heart broke at the sight of him and I wanted to help, but I don't have any money to give him.  I contacted our local news station and posted on Facebook, asking others to do the same.  If there is enough noise made, maybe they will do a story on him and he will receive some help from those more able to give.
     How did we get here?  What happened to our morals and love of our fellow humans on this planet that led us to situations where our elderly have to beg for help?  I cannot begin to imagine how emasculated and vulnerable he must have felt, we've all had bad times, but this....This just screams "WRONG, WRONG, WRONG"
     Pointing fingers, naming names, flinging accusations-none of these will solve our problems,  I believe it is up to us to stand up and say no more.  Can you help someone today, open a door for someone whose arms are laden with packages, let that car out into traffic even though you want to get home as well as they do.   Spend a dollar on a simple meal that might be the only one that somewhat raggedy person might have today.  I don't have all the answers, I just know if we don't start helping ourselves out here, all that is good about humanity may be lost in the fray.  We have to stop looking to someone else to fix what is wrong, if "they" were going to fix it, it would have been done by now. 
     To me, this gentlemen epitomizes a very scary concept, that after having worked most of our lives, we all end on on that curbside with a sign that says "I gave it all, I did my best.....I guess it wasn't good enough"

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh hun....this is a damning observation of the world today. Heart breaking indeed. Well written babe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the news station run the story? Do you know?

    ReplyDelete