tree dancer

tree dancer
Tree Dancer

Friday, September 23, 2011

What happened?

        Do you ever just sit and wonder at how the world has changed?  I'm 61 and have seen a lot of things come and go just in that short time on this planet.  Sometimes it's absolutely overwhelming.
        What happened to food servers that wear hairnets, for instance?  Have we progressed so fast and so far in our lives that we no longer mind finding hair in our food?  I know I haven't hit that particular pinnacle.
        What happened to the simplicity of childhood?  We ran and played until that last loud yell-KIMBERLEY!-made me know I better move my little butt and head for home.  The cowboys and indians, the princesses and their courts , all had to be sent on their way too for the night.  Now we listen to the news of our children and video games, childhood obesity on the rise and wonder why.
         What happened to sitting on our porches, swinging gently to the music of the night?  Talk, or not, hold hands, or not, watch the stars as they leisurely stroll across the skies, sadly, all lost arts. 
        What happened to manners?  Consideration for others?  I cannot remember the last time I was out in public and didn't have to listen to someone else's conversation filled with the "F" word.  It's tossed around now like a basketball, no regard for age, gender or location.
         Progress, oh yes, I hear that, and in some respects, yes, we've jumped by leaps and bounds.  But, have we progressed in the things that truly matter?  When it all comes crashing down around us, do you know your neighbor well enough to go and ask for help?  My mom told me so many times, stop and smell the roses. 
           I got it mom, thanks.....

1 comment:

  1. roller skates and skinned knees, walking home in the rain from school, building forts out of boxes and sitting at open windows on warm summer nights listening to the adults who thought they put us to bed an hour ago.......

    ReplyDelete