tree dancer

tree dancer
Tree Dancer

Monday, November 7, 2011

          I lie awake, thinking.....


        I'm sitting here playing Bejeweled, it's still dark outside and through my head is running...."In the wee small hours of the morning, when the whole damn world is fast asleep..."  damn, darn, not sure about that one word, but forgive me this error, it's easy enough to check online, but I don't.  From that line in the song, my mind slides off to the side and wonder how many of us lie awake at night whilst our minds run willy nilly.  How many of us make promises we never seem able to keep?  Promises to ourselves-I'll start that diet, I'll quit smoking, I'll do random acts of kindness.  We all know; and we mean it when we say it, but do we follow through?  And does it seem less concrete, less believeable made in the darkness and quiet of the night?  Is that how we justify it to ourselves in the light of the day.  Then when night falls and the whole damn world is fast asleep, do we once again commit ourselves to becoming a better person? 
            Days are so busy, family, jobs, job searching; maintaining your home and all the hurry/scurry things that involves.  Are we able to pause occasionally and remember those promises we so adamantly made to ourselves?  Easy to forget in the daily routines we have wedged ourselves into.  What if we were to take one per day and just work on that?  Make it our mantra for the day, I honestly don't know if this works.  It's definitely worth a try, I believe that anything we set our minds to do, we can do.  Let me know if you have any luck, it feels like it should improve us. 
          So in the wee small hours, we can smile and give ourselves a hug, or a pat on the back, knowing we've done all we can do.

1 comment:

  1. the way I do it is to set myself small menial tasks to achieve during the next day ( and a whole list of them for hubby). Then when I do achieve them - and they are the sort of things you can't miss - I feel better about myself. Then feeling better about myself I start to believe in myself. And when I start to really believe in myself I believe that I can do anything....but one menial task at a time and one day at a time. Works for me. Doesn't work for hubby though LOL.

    Hugs

    M

    ReplyDelete